Wednesday, October 8, 2008

SePtEmBer HaRvEsT


Well this year we got started growing some of our own food!

The apples
were a nice surprise
I guess the tree loved
having all those plants
in a circle underneath it
receiving all that good
water that dripped
down to the lovely
tree roots. : )

We had a great crop of apples!
These are cored and frozen
waiting to be baked,
with cinnamon, nutmeg, and a little honey,
or dropped into the blender
for smoothies this winter.
I also chopped some
froze them
on a cookie sheet
(my favorite trick : )
then bagged them.
I've already made
yummy gluten free
apple/blackberry scones
with them.
(just to test out this
new freezing trick)

Freezing kills fewer nutrients than canning
and since these are uncooked
they retain a lot more nutrients. : )
My mom taught me this.
I also cooked some of the apples into applesauce.
Then to avoid all that toxic plastic
: - p

I froze the applesauce in Pyrex bowls
(these are oven safe, so I figured they would freeze without cracking!)

Then I dipped the bottom of the bowls in warm water for a minute,
then turned out the frozen applesauce, and bagged it!
This will be great for muffins, pancakes, or whatever.
You can replace fat in a recipe with applesauce, too. : )


More harvest later...
Yum!

No comments: